The Official Page of Radiance!

Page of Radiance

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Are You Kidding? Wii Are Not!

So here's the deal.

To be honest, I was very relieved when the name was announced. I don't know, it has something to do with me not liking consoles sticking to their code-names (no Dolphin, DS, or Revolution for me, thanks -- though I kind of liked Ultra 64). Besides, am I the only one who thought the Revolution name was a bit too obnoxious?. But yes, I was definitely surprised to see such a negative reaction from the gaming community -- mind you, I come from a place where "Wii" isn't a word related to body parts or potty visits -- but I can honestly say that I inmediately related the new name to the iPod brand.



Sure, it will take a while, but I'm positive that the name will stick around, and people will learn to love it. That's what happened with several other brands that didn't seem to "make sense" when they were first introduced. I certainly think that in the end -- and this may sound like a lame and overused excuse -- the name will not matter, because what gamers will really remember is the gameplay (if it's good and revolutionary). Personally, after almost two years, I can't say I'm fond of the Nintendo DS name, but why should I care when the system has amazing games like Advance Wars: Dual Strike on it?

I do think that Nintendo may have a bit of trouble marketing the name (although they are trying to get girl gamers to play, so having a "Wii" may work in the end, right? -- I KID!), but we'll see. Though Yahoo! turned out pretty well, don't you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home